Thursday, January 28, 2010

Grocery Nerd strikes again



I promise I am not turning this into a coupon blog..

Several people have asked me about my grocery post. They have asked if I save that much money on a regular basis.

Yes.

But, again, I buy in bulk when things are on sale, and plan my menu based on what I have on hand. I know that it seems odd to buy 12 boxes of Capri-sun, but I will not buy it again for a VERY long time. I will use them in packed lunches. 120 packed lunches.

8 pounds of bologna??? I will vacum seal these, and it will last a very long time. (I don't like to feed my kids a lot of processed meat, so these will be used in between much healthier choices.) My vacum sealer keeps meat fresh in the freezer for about a year!

12 boxes of Macaroni and cheese?? I will donate about half of these - they were all free.

The low fat cheese I will vacum seal and use all the time. I LOVE cheese.

I think I bought Velveeta for the first time in about 10 years, I don't like it, but thought it would work with the free Ro-Tel for Super Bowl Sunday. (See, I'm already planning ahead :)

Next week I will use a portion of my grocery budget to stock up on whatever is on sale, that we use frequently. It is a cycle, and keeps whatever we need on hand. But, I am always on the lookout for good deals on 'convenience foods'. This way, on those nights you just don't want to cook - or you have to get to practice for 5 different sports- we can skip the drive -thru.

Here is my list from Kroger and Publix:
3 wheat thins
2 Triscuits
12 boxes Kraft Mac and Cheese
8 lbs. bologna
2 cans green chiles
2 cans Ro-tel
5 blocks Kraft low fat, natural cheese
3 bags Kradt shredded low fat cheese
2 lb. Velveeta (yuck)
12 boxes Capri-Sun
1 12 roll pack Northern TP
1 8 roll back Brawney paper towels
4 4pks Benevia juice
1 gallon skim milk
6 scrubbing bubbles cleaner
2 boxes Texas Toast garlic bread
1 lb. butter
2 bottles vitamin D
5 bars Johnson & Johnson soap
3 lbs lean ground beef
kosher salt
1 box knox gelatin
2 Pam cooking spray
3 Japanese noodles
2 bottles Bayer
4 bottles Aleve
1 Sabra Hummus (this stuff is gooood!)

Total before sales and coupons $257.93
Total savings $207.66

Total spent $50.27 (not including tax)

I will use another $10 for more milk and fresh produce.
Not too bad for a family of 5.


Now, let's get back to the painting and sewing....







www.littlebitsdesigns.com

No comments:

Post a Comment